A1.2 Verb patterns
1 Verb forms and patterns
Many verbs require specific syntactic patterns when they occur in a sentence. See for example the verbs describing cause and effect in the Study Box.
Study Box: Cause and effect: verb patterns
x causes/leads to/results in/gives rise to y
x causes y to do sth
x leads/results in y doing sth
x does y/x is done, which …
x does y/x is done, causing/leading to/resulting in/giving rise to/triggering …
Combine the phrases and verbs below to show cause and effect.
1) water pressure → wheel turns (cause)
2) continued use of fossil fuels → climate change (give rise to)
3) the new safety measures introduced last year → decrease in accidents (lead to)
4) better technology in the future → more efficient energy production (result in)
5) dirty drinking water → sickness → national health crisis (result in/trigger)