Writing for Publication: Transitions and Tools that Support Scholars’ Success - Mary Renck Jalongo, Olivia N. Saracho 2016
Writing the Abstract
From Qualitative Research to a Journal Article
Conference Proposals and Article Types
The abstract is the last step in writing the manuscript. It summarizes the complete study in one paragraph. Although the length of the abstract usually ranges between 200 and 300 words, its content should briefly include the following elements:
· A well-defined statement of the purpose of the study, research questions, and significance of the study.
· A description of the sample and sampling techniques that were used.
· Data collection methods including what data were collected, from where, from whom, and by whom
· Data analysis strategies including analytic techniques, definitions of concepts, categories, and themes
· Findings based on the research questions and interpretations.
Abstracts are well organized and well written to provide complete information about the study.